Sunday, March 24, 2013

Make your own Easter Eggs

How to make Easter Eggs

I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but I hate the plastic Easter eggs. I hate throwing them away (so I don't, but they do get thrown away eventually), I hate trying to find a place to store them, and I hate how we get more and more each year. So this year I'm doing something different, I'm making my own and I'm going to share with you how to do it.

Last night was the first time I've done this craft and for the most part I was winging it because I didn't have anything to go off, except a picture that I saw online a few weeks ago. So, I'm going to tell you what I did and my suggestions on what you might want to do.

This craft is (eventually, once you get the hang of it) simple and would be perfect for a kids project.

These are the materials you will need:
  • Scissors
  • Glue or Mod Podge
  • A dish with a little bit of water in it
  • Water balloons
  • Yarn
  • and Candy: I used Hershey eggs and lollipops, but I advise against the lollipops they were a pain to deal with
Directions:
  •  Mix some glue (or Mod Podge) into to the water and stir it creating a diluted mixture
  • This next step can go 2 ways:
  1. You can put the candy in the balloons (serious pain in the butt I might add) and blow the balloon up and knot it
  2. or two you can just blow the balloon up and knot it
  • Cut a LONG piece of yarn (I'd say double your arm length, if you need to add more you can always tie pieces together)
  • Dunk the yarn into the diluted mixture, wringing out the extra

  • Half tie the string to the balloons knot, then wrap the yarn around the balloon repeatedly, make sure you don't leave any big gaps for the candy to fall through (I made that mistake), but make sure you leave enough room to get the balloon out.
    • NOTE: If you DIDN'T add the candy to the balloon make sure you leave a gap in the string towards the top of the "egg" so that you can add the candy after it's finished 
  • When you're done wrapping, set aside out of the way and let dry, this will take a while. My "eggs" took about 6 hrs to dry. 
  • After the eggs are finished drying the yarn will be stiff to the touch, you MUST wait until they are fully dry or this next step will ruin them. Take a pair of scissors and pop the balloon.
    • If your egg collapses DON'T panic, just finish getting the balloon out of the shell you've created and it should pop back into place 
  • If you haven't already, add the candy

 The picture above is the end result. Goodluck with your project!




    No comments:

    Post a Comment